Friday, January 23, 2009

Sick Day

This almost feels like skipping school. I'm home legitimately today. Aidan is sick for the second day in a row. He has that croupy seal-bark cough. If you're a mom, you've heard it. If you're going to be a mom, prepare yourself for it. It can be very disconcerting in the middle of the night. Anyway, Ryan is teaching today so I stayed home with Aidan. And now I'm updating the blog. A shout out to our friend, Kerry Anderson, for introducing me to the wonderful world of blog backgrounds. This one was an impulse move, but they're free, so maybe I'll change it up later.

So, I'm thinking about friends today. How I have lots of them, scattered all over. And how I'm getting reacquainted with the "long-lost" variety, courtesy of Facebook. And how I'm so glad that there is email and blogs and Facebook, so I can feel not quite so distant from all of them. How I need my good ones desperately now. And how we've been here for 6 months and don't really have any. :( I'm not sure how to remedy this. It's been hard for my kids as well. And that breaks a mother's heart more than anything that could ever happen to me personally. We're no longer in an Air Force community, where people are used to lots of coming and going and everyone is generally welcoming. That's not to say that people here haven't been welcoming - but it's different. Everyone pretty much has an established social circle and they're not out looking for new recruits. The church that we've chosen is in our community, which we feel is important, but because it's both an Anglican church, and in a small town, that means virtually no one our age (or our kids' ages). Lots of people would say to that, "find a different church." But, for us, it's not that easy. We feel a strong conviction to worship with our neighbors and try to impact our local community, rather than travel across town to find the group that looks most like us. So, where to find friends? I'm thinking - just thinking - about trying to start a book club. I've never "started" anything in my life - unless you count the lame "detective" club in 5th grade. There's not a lot of detective work in the average elementary school. So, I'm thinking about this. And praying for God to give me some insight into our situation, and my kids' situation. Maybe we're meant to embrace our suffering for a while. Ryan wants to invite the across-the-street neighbors over for dinner. But since he's chatted with the neighbor guy only once or twice, while shovelling snow, and I've never talked to them at all, this feels weird to me. Do people do things like that? Will they think we're stalkers, or worse yet, desperate? :)

7 comments:

The Andersons said...

The Blog looks great. I actually picked that same background for my other blog (a totally child-centered indulgent one exclusively for the grandparents).

I actually went through a couple of year feeling exactly like you are describing - and there are people our age. Clay, too. There is a strange lack of 10-11 year old boys at our church.

In the midst of it, one of my wonderful long distance friends reminded me, "If God hasn't provided them, maybe you don't need the right now. " I think I am just now coming to see that. Just when He is bringing me a few closer friends who actually live in the same city.

P.S great to re-connect a bit with you.

ErinOrtlund said...

Well, I know you're a veteran at moving a lot, but personally, I rarely enjoy my first year anywhere. I just dislike having to set up a new life, make new friends, etc. Maybe that's what you're experiencing now and next year will be easier. I'm sure it's also different not to live so close to your work--I'm sure that makes it harder to get together with people. Elisabeth Elliot says in her book Loneliness that one benefit of feeling lonely is that it motivates to reach out more to others. So maybe you should start that book club and invite the neighbor over? There are probably lots of people around you who wish they were better connected. :)

Jennifer Hamel said...

Reading your post is like reading one of my own un-written ones. I completely understand that transition!

I'm all for starting things; it doesn't come naturally, but I've always seen God do amazing things when I've followed that nudge. I think a book club is a fabulous idea. :)

And I hope Aiden gets better! I'm sure my future kid will never get sick. Ever. (Right? :) )

Bryonie said...

Hey there - nice new blog. I like it. I say go for it with the neighbors! Josh and I have been talking a whole lot about Craig's plausibility structures - I think this fits right in, don't you??

Unknown said...

Hi Amy, just wanted you to know that we keep up with you life in O'Canada and enjoy you "blogs". Congratulations on being a new auntie and hope that Aidan gets clear of the croup quickly. We are enjoying another snowstorm to improve our winter sports of skiing/snowshoeing. Last wk we had Ron & Gloria up with friends, Tara & Damian for a 4 day ski outing. They stayed in a condo at Purgatory. Susan and I are headed for Moab for three days of "slickrock" and it now appears that it will be rain/snow if the forecast is correct. You gotta love that Gore-Tex! Keep up the great stories and give the family a hug for us. Love, Uncle Billy & Aunt Susan

Ann said...

Hey Amy! California greetings from your favorite aunt. I AM your fave, right? Amy? Sheesh...

I'm sure by now Aidan is over his cough - it's so hard when they're sick or upset. I'm always looking for the train I can throw myself in front of in exchange for the hurt of one of my kids.

Nice job on your geographical criteria in church searches. It's how we found Bethany Pres. Started with the closest and widened the circle until we found one we liked. It's wonderful to worship with neighbors, and really helps to build that sense of community.

Had the neighbors over yet? Was going to recommend a casual backyard barbeque, but even down here it's a bit cool for that. It will come - be open to it.

Hi to all your gang from all of mine - Love, Auntie Ann

Elka & Blake said...

Hi Amy-It's great to hear from you. Sound like life is treating you well! Cut blog! I am new to the "blogger" world! I will give Nikki your email info. Stay in touch! Elka