Thursday, January 15, 2009

Eating Mercifully

Some friends (thanks Chad and Kacy) put me onto this DVD from the Humane Society (USA). You can request it free at this link: http://www.hsus.org/forms/eating_mercifully_dvd_request.html

Although I've only seen the preview, C&K say that it explores issues surrounding factory farming and animal cruelty, from a Christian perspective. The Humane Society has an "All Creatures Great and Small" campaign that is designed to provoke thinking and dialogue among Christians about the intersection of their faith and the lifestyle choices they make. (Here is my official disclaimer: "The views expressed in the DVD are that of the Humane Society and the DVD participants...") I don't think it's necessary for Christians to be vegetarians, but you'd be surprised how many people think that our food comes from farms where the animals are frolicking around until the moment of death, ala "Old MacDonald."

To my Canadian friends and neighbors: I've been unable to locate a similar campaign or DVD offer on the Humane Society Canada's webpage. But, at least if you're an expatriate, like me, you've probably mastered the art of sending things to your parents, siblings, and friends, and having them forward the stuff on to you!

No comments: