Monday, November 9, 2009

I Don't Even Know What to Call This...

You may be wondering why it has taken me 3 months to post something new. (Alternatively, if you have known me for any length of time and aren't just a blog stalker who's never actually met me, you're not all that surprised.) It's actually because I've spent the last 3 months trying to remember the username and password to sign into the blog. OK - that's an exaggeration. That's just what I've been doing for the past 15 minutes. (See my very early blog on passwords.) The real truth -- nothing, and yet everything to blog about. Nothing that seemed substantial enough to pass on to you, my faithful readers (when I say readers here I am trying not to assume that anyone other than my parents are reading this.) But I have to break my silence to muse on the simple and the profound -- the noteworthy and the not-worthy. Here goes:

1. I spent the early part of Friday morning at the dentist. What a great way to begin the weekend. I loathe the dentist. I've never had any real dental problems, but I don't like the idea or the experience at all. In fact, one time I even mentioned to the dentist, in case he wasn't aware, that people generally despise going to the dentist. He actually looked kind of hurt, like he hadn't considered this at all when weighing his post-secondary options. In any case, on this particular trip to the dentist, like others before it, the hygienist mentioned, with some surprise (this is perplexing) that my gums tended to bleed a little. Imagine the shock she must have suffered -- she poked and prodded at some of the most sensitive tissue on my body, with a sharp metal hook, and lo and behold, some blood. I've often wanted to point out the irony to her, but usually think better of it. If she was a nicer person and had a better sense of humor, she wouldn't have become a dental hygienist, right? (Apologies right now to my cousin Jenna, who I'm sure is the exception when it comes to dental hygienists...) In exchange for this tiny bit of early morning sadism, I was presented with a travel sized tube of Crest and a reminder card for my NEXT dental visit.

2. H1N1. I prefer the colloquial title, "Swine Flu." In a nutshell, it's enough already. On pretty much a daily basis I receive CNN news updates, health reminders from the university Health & Safety person, notes from HR reminding us to prepare for an untimely absence from work, fliers in my newspaper announcing where to get my vaccine, additional announcements about how there's not enough vaccine so don't bother coming down. My personal favorite announcement was in this week's newspaper (I'm going to call it the Small Town Times -- small stories from a small town) - an insert reminding people that lines could be long when you come for your vaccine so bring "treats and toys for the youngsters." Really? Who uses the word youngsters? Here are a few things I know about Swine Flu, from this helpful lot of information:
a) You can't get it from eating bacon (yay!)
b) I'm not in any of the high risk groups, so really I can pretty much ignore everything I read
c) Apparently there is some confusion in my church about whether you can contract it from passing the peace (this is also known as handshaking time in all the non-liturgical churches) or taking communion. Some people are refusing to do either one. I figure if I contract Swine Flu from taking communion, then there's probably nothing I could have done to avoid getting it, if you know what I mean
d)I am more indispensible at work than I knew (or less than I thought -- I can't remember)
e) The vaccine is simultaneously dangerous, not dangerous, the most worthless thing in the world, a miracle drug, still exerimental, extensively tested, plentiful, and scarce.

3. My newest introspective revelation is that I am a self-proclaimed blog stalker. (Brace yourselves - I may have just coined a new phrase. Probably not, but maybe.) A blog stalker is someone who reads the blogs of people he or she doesn't know and then feels personally involved in these people's lives. A couple of cases in point -- some friends of ours have recently gone through an international adoption. Out of curiosity one day, I followed one of the links on their blog to another family's blog about their adoption journey. The story was heartbreaking and joyful and I found myself completely wrapped up in it. I read it from start to finish and found myself checking back with them on a regular basis to follow the process. If this family was to ever find out that a total stranger was shedding tears daily over their lives, they might be a bit frightened, disturbed, or at the very least, confused. Another one -- a friend of a friend suffered a tragedy a couple of years ago when her husband was killed in combat, leaving her alone with several young children. I didn't know this family, but I knew OF them. I found myself from time to time wondering how they were doing. I don't know if it was the military connection or having young children, or my own thinking about death, which I do on a regular basis. In any case, this wondering was re-opened for me yesterday as our church had its annual Remembrance Day (Veteran's Day) service. I was again thinking about this woman and her children. (Let me again remind you that this woman doesn't even know I exist.) So, I did what any normal curious person living in 2009 would do: I Googled her. That led me to a blog written by her and her new husband, who lost his wife of nearly 25 years to breast cancer. Imagine (if you know me at all and aren't yourself a blog stalker) the tears that I shed reading the story of how they came together in their grief and found love and formed a new, large family. Again, these people would surely think that something is wrong with me and that I have, in fact, no life. I can't decide if the blog stalking is perfectly healthy -- after all, it is a great thing to share one another's stories and burdens and it is these stories that help define our human-ness ---- or if it is unneccessarily obsessive and I should be spending more time writing and living my own story. Thoughts to ponder. If you are a blog stalker yourself, and don't actually know me personally, I don't judge you. You're welcome here!

4. This is not intended to mock, but merely to amuse. This is an actual excerpt from one of my children's vocabulary quiz (a matching exercise): Question: A church leader, Answer chosen by my child: Pneumonia . Maybe all the talk of H1N1 threw the child off their game. I really hope that's it.

1 comment:

The Andersons said...

I too am about to jump back in to regular blogging. There. I said it. I'll have to do it.

Seriously though, keep writing. Makes me laugh out loud and not feel like it's been a hundred years since we've seen you guys.

And as for the story about the check in the grocery store...wow. I;d have written one too and we got a good laugh at the line about Ryan and authority :)