Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Veteran's/Remembrance Day


Even though I'm a day late (and a dollar short, but I won't get into that...) I need to give a hearty salute to my grandfathers, my aunts and uncles, my "dads", my sister, Stacy, her husband, Jeff, my brothers-in-law, countless friends, and my own sweet husband, for the sacrifices they've made in the defense of our country and the fact that although they may not literally have laid their lives on the line on a daily basis, they are willing to. Thanks guys! And a special treat - from 12 year old Patrick, who, to my dismay, often expresses a desire to be a tank commander - here is a Veteran's Day poem:


Never Again


Remember, remember,
That morn of November,
When enemies signed for the killing to cease.

For most it was blessed,
For many overdue,
But many already rested in peace.

The firing has stopped,
The dead have been buried,
And we hope for it never again.

For the truth about war is
The blood and the gore
That we saw in those swampy mud fields.

And now many years later
Neither friends nor long haters
Can forget that peace was the goal

When soldiers one and each
Threw themselves in the breach
To protect their loved ones back home.

“Never again”, we say,
“Never again
Shall we relive those gory four years”.

Remember, we shall,
For we should not forget
That war only brings us tears

On this day we remember
That morn of November
And our friends and loved ones who rest.




1 comment:

RiftBreakers said...

Patrick wrote this? Wow. What a kid. :) - A.