Friday, August 1, 2008

Am I a "Granola"?

Those of you who went to college with me, or have ever lived in Colorado, will know exactly what I mean by this statement. No, I have not stopped shaving, but today I went and procured a --- drum roll please--home composter. First, I have to say that we are loving Ontario's commitment to recycling. It's amazing how little actual garbage we have. One of my sisters, who shall remain nameless (but you know who you are!) said to me, "We're Republicans. We don't recycle." Tsk tsk. Now we've decided to take it a step further. Everyone in Caronport had a compost pile, but I was reluctant to have a pile of rotting food in my backyard. However, I've done a little research, prompted by the offer of home composters at our local county office, and discovered that, properly tended to, a composter doesn't have to be disgusting and will churn out some sweet smelling rich soil for our garden (in 6 months or so...) It has a lid and will sit in the side yard (so no pile of rotting food outside the back door). Our current anal practice is to seal up all of our food scraps in plastic produce bags, before putting them in the trash (to cut down on that trash can smell) so we really don't need to alter our habits all that much. You can even put coffee filters, tea bags, hair (I have lots of this), and clothes dryer lint in the composter. Between the home composter and the recycling bin, I'm betting that we'll only have 1-2 kitchen trash bags full of actual trash next week. I'll report back to you and let you know how close we came. I will still be shaving, however...

2 comments:

Jennifer Hamel said...

Ooh.... interesting idea. I've only recently acquired my very first lawn and garden, and 6 months is probably how long it would take me to start doing anything the soil. :) haha

Terry Bradley said...

Amy, just how Granola are you? I found this quiz: http://www.mountainx.com/ae/2008/edgy_mama_how_granola_are_you

Connie and I are happy to hear you've moved east...we are now in Maryland, so maybe that's close enough to come visit you (I am a geography-challenged American)?

Isn't it great we got our of the Air Force so we wouldn't have to move as often?